God created taste buds for a reason...

He knew there would be cake to eat!

Nov 15, 2009

7 layer 3 Tiered Church Dedication Cake


40 cups of cake batter + 30 cups of frosting + 20 hours = cake for the St. Jude Parish 50th Anniversary & Rededication. I had so much fun designing & decorating this cake (after the hard work and long hours of preparation were done). The very top tier was 3 layers (baked in 6 x 2 inch pans) of white cake with my classic buttercream. The middle tier was 2 layers (8 x 3 inch) of chocolate cake with classic buttercream. The bottom tier was 2 layers (12 x 3 inch) of white cake with classic buttercream. I made color flow frosting ahead of time (hardens like royal but with a pillow look) to make the 50 symbol and the large cross. Then I painted them in gold and dusted them with edible gold glitter. I also made all of the roses ahead of time out of buttercream and dusted them in clear rainbow glitter. For a few roses I painted them gold and added gold glitter. I wrapped gold ribbon around each tier (with packing tape attached to the back so the oil in the frosting would not affect the ribbon). I filled 4 Wilton clear columns with the same gold ribbon. I hand piped the designs on the cake in white buttercream. I inserted plastic dowel rods into each layer of cake for support (thank you Dad for cutting those for me!) Right before I put the cake together I painted the mini crosses in gold. I brought the cake to the hall in 3 pieces and assembled it on the cake table. I attached the 50 and the cross to the cake with buttercream first. Then I piped the borders in small & large beads. I attached the roses and added leaves. And of course I had a statue of St. Jude. I am really happy with how it turned out!

No comments: